How to Tame Wild Curls
Curly hair is often a blessing and sometimes can feel like a curse. Salon Helena in Albuquerque knows that with the dry air of New Mexico and random humidity that we sometimes experience, your curls can start to have a mind of their own. That is why we are putting out our top ten tips for taming those curls and keeping them healthy.
Top Tips to Manage Natural Curls
If you can’t figure out how to keep your curls under control, try one or many of our following tips:
1. Use a light serum – Use a light serum to help control stray hairs without weighing down your hair. We recommend ColorProof’s Anti-Frizz Oil. This oil is non-staining, nourishing and restoring while defrizzing your hair and providing long-lasting shine.
2. Rotate your brushing methods – Brushing your hair helps distribute natural oil through your hair. Rotate between finger brushing and brushing with a paddle brush or wide-toothed comb every two days. We recommend finger brushing for two, and brushing with a comb or brush for one.
3. Don’t shampoo every time – Constant shampooing can dry out your curls and cause them to be frizzy. If you need to wash your hair every day, we recommend trying ColorProof TruCurl Curl Perfecting Shampoo. This shampoo is gentle enough for everyday use, is sulfate-free and is humidity-resistant!
4. Braid your hair – Braiding or plaiting your hair while it is wet before you go to bed can help your curls be loose / wavier the next day.
5. Skip the blow dryer – Using a blow dryer every now and then is not the end of the world. However, excessive use can lead to breakage and heat damage and add more frizz. Towel dry your hair if possible and let it dry naturally.
6. Use a leave-in conditioner – Use a leave-in conditioner such as Eufora’s Hydration Leave-In Conditioner. This conditioner provides moisture, detangling and anti-frizz while protecting your gorgeous locks from heat and sun damage. It also isn’t greasy, so you can run your fingers through your hair all-day long without the mess. Another great thing about leave-in conditioners, is they protect your hair from chlorine when you go swimming.
7. Rinse with Cold Water – When you are rinsing your hair in the shower or bath, use cold water. Hot water can raise cuticle layer adding to unwanted frizz. Cold water seals the cuticle and helps it lay smooth.
8. Moisturize – Keeping your hair hydrated and moisturized will reduce frizz and help your curls hold their shape. The TruCurl Curl Perfecting Crème from ColorProof is available at Salon Helena and it activates curl memory, gives heat protection and defrizzes natural curls. It also aids in separation of curls.
Salon Helena in Albuquerque, New Mexico knows that our desert air can make taming natural curls difficult, but with our expert stylists and products as well as the tips above, you can learn to love your hair no matter the weather. We love curls and celebrate them every day at our salon. Visit us today and learn more about how we can help you control those curls and look fabulous doing it.